People around the world are fighting the global corporate “trade” agenda. Now that the United States executive branch has Fast Track authority, three major international treaties, the TPP, TTIP, and TiSA can pass into law–unless we stop them.
This is a proposal for escalation this fall to stop the first of the three rigged corporate deals, the TPP (if TPP is stopped, the other deals could collapse as well). To do so will require a wide network of people working together to escalate across the United States and around the world. Following are some ideas for how this might be structured and what it might look like!
We will discuss this proposal on the July 8 National TPP Resistance Call to flesh it out more concretely and start assigning roles/tasks. There is something that each person can do.
Please read the outline below, consider suggestions to strengthen it and think about what role you would like to play. People will be needed to focus on social media and/or traditional media, to serve as local coordinators for building coalitions and planning actions, to do outreach, for working on TPP free zones, to provide nonviolent direct action training, to organize educational and visibility events and more.
- Stop the Triple Treaty Threat of TPP, TTIP, TiSA
- Build an intersectional movement for this battle and beyond.
- Increase our skills in media, education, organizing and direct action.
- TPP Ministerial meeting, possibly in US: Week of July 23
- Raise awareness with visibility actions, teach-ins, media, and more: Start ASAP!
- Build your local movement–educate, train, do a TPP Free zone (a good way to bring the impacts home and build local involvement), and connect to others in your region and across the country. Start now!
- Fall Escalation: start in October and go until we stop TPP. This may include coordinated days of action and mass mobilizations. Start preparing now by joining the national TPP resistance calls!
- Trainings across the country in direct action, media mobilizing, etc. Start soon.
Who is Involved?
- Everyone can get involved. There are lots of roles to fill and we need to get more and more groups to work on this national mobilization.
- Create a network of organizers across country who build local coalitions.
- Mobilize groups working on many different issues to work together: labor, greens, human rights, health care, migrant rights, food and water justice, anti-war, anti-poverty, racial justice, etc.
- Collaborate with the rising tide proposal and the global Climate strike this fall.
- Reach out to April 18 day of action organizers
- Mexico and Canada allies
- EU parliament allies
- Australian and New Zealand allies
- Allies across Asia Pacific
- Pledge of Resistance for groups and individuals
- Multinational Corporations
- Banks and other financial institutions
- US Congress
- Targets will be selected locally based on what makes the most sense in each area. There may be some nationally coordinated selection of targets too!
- Global corporate coup, corporate globalization
- Much more than lost jobs. Impacts around the world.
- Less common angles: Inequality, poverty, hunger, global gentrification, privatization, human slavery/trafficking, mass migration, 6th mass extinction, endless war, constitutionality, etc.
- There are better alternatives
- Social media team
- Tools for LTE’s, press releases in local media
- Media support for days of action
Tactics for Movement Building:
- Visibility Actions
- TPP Free Zone resolutions across the country–good way to build local movements
- Create spaces/cultures of resistance to share information, ideas, strategy, etc
- NVDA training
Tactics for escalation:
- Direct action
Name Ideas/catch phrases
- World Against Corporation or World vs Corporations
- Challenge Choreographed Corruption
- TPP Rebellion or TPP, TTIP, TiSA Rebellion
- People Rule vs. Corporate Rule
- Global/World Uprising to Stop Corporate Globalization